PIIP is a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact.
The UNGC was created by then United Nations ( UN ) Secretary-General Kofi Annan, where it was first announced in an address to the World Economic Forum on January 31, 1999. It was explained as having the purpose of “giving a human face to the global market.” The UNGC was officially launched at the UN Headquarters in New York on July 26, 2000.
Operating as a business led platform for companies, universities and civil society to learn, share and collaborate on sustainability issues, the UNGC drives corporate sustainability forward. It encourages businesses worldwide to adopt sustainable and socially responsible policies, and to report on their implementation. It works off of a mandate set out by the UN General Assembly as an organisation that promotes responsible business practices and UN values among the global business community and the UN System.
The UNGC is a principle-based framework and a call to companies everywhere to align their operations and strategies with ten universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption, and to take action in support of UN goals and issues embodied in the Sustainable Development Goals. In this way, it is a strategic policy initiative for organisations that are committed to aligning their operations of building a sustainable, inclusive global economy.
PIIP is proud to be a signatory of the UNGC, as our support for the initiative underlines our commitment to corporate responsibility. We strive to advance the ten principles through our approach to business and our engagement with stakeholders.
PIIP pledges to engage with the UNGC in at least the following way(s):
• Annual Business Associations Forum on Sustainable Development
• Promote Industry Best Practices
• Focused Collaboration and Partnerships
• Host UN Global Compact events
• Implement and Promote the UN Global Compact Ten Principles
• Educate a variety of audiences about sustainability
• Conduct thought leadership to advance best practices
• Foster, promote and support Global Compact Local Networks
• Foster, promote and support Issue Platforms and Workstreams